It’s been a long time since I posted here. I thought I’d write a note letting you know why Hirogari has been relatively silent over the past year. I’ve certainly not been. Over the past twelve months I’ve returned to performing on the stage as a singer. Certainly not professionally, but I have found that in addition to my teaching day job to be quite time consuming, and whilst I have pages of notes and sketches for new Hirogari work, I’ve not really had enough free time to begin to put any of it together.
To give you an idea of what’s been happening outside Hirogari, here’s a bit of a timeline since August last year:
- Played ‘Ubaldo Piangi’ in ‘Phantom Of The Opera’ (Cairns Choral Society)
- Performed in Cairns Carols By Candlelight
- Performed at the Cairns Regional Council Australia Day Awards Ceremony
- Competed in the North Queensland Eisteddfod as a soloist and as part of Cairns Choral Society – First Place in Second Grade Tenor & Second Place in Musical Theatre solo sections
- Remixed ‘Just Dance’ by David Bowie for the Cairns Bon Odori Festival
- Performed at the Clink Theatre in Port Douglas
- Played ‘Clive’ in ‘Heaven Help Us’ Theatre Restaurant for Cairns Choral Society
- Performed with Opera Queensland in ‘The Barber of Seville’ as part of Project Rossini
- Various sound design, lighting design & video production projects for Theatre and Internet
Auditioning for ‘Phantom’ was a big step for me, and it wouldn’t have happened without my wife’s encouragement and prodding. I have really enjoyed returning to performing in live theatre after some sixteen years behind the scenes/sound desk/lighting desk but I’m ready to be a little introspective and go to hide in my studio for a few months now. I will keep you appraised of the new project, and hope to release it in 2017.
Thank you for your continued support of Hirogari